Tuesday 2 November 2010

Day 27 - Lakes and more lakes

Ugh, here we go again. As Hana said, it really has started to feel a bit of a struggle of late. The limbs are starting to feel a bit stiff and are we actually getting anywhere? Why is Stockholm still maybe 5 days away? 5 more days = 5 more days cycling = 250 miles - waaaaaaaaaaaah!

The scenery on today's cycling made up for my lack of enthusiasm. I was map reading and roads we were following were nice back roads that followed lake after lake. Or was it just the same big lake? This landscape was like nothing we've seen so far and was quite breathtaking at times. We also passed some of the most amazing churches - mighty things in a the middle of a field or atop a little hill somewhere with only a few houses closeby for company.


Like me, my chain was beginning to give up and was making the most annoying creaking all day as we rolled up and down the hills. Obviously we havent packed anything as sensible as chain lube but we did have some olive oil (extra virgin of course), the same thing surely? We stopped for a snack by another beautiful lake and before a slathered my chain in Italy's finest I thought better just text Matti Mountford bike guru and check. Olive oil would do the job - excellent! We slapped a bit on and just as I got on my bike to ride around and distribute the grease I noticed it - another rotten puncture. Crumbs. How do I do it? Luckily for Hana she won't have to write to Schwalbe just yet, it was the front wheel this time.


It may sound like not that big a deal, a puncture. But it's such a faff, a hassel. And it's just REALLY annoying, what more can I say. Needless to say, we fixed it and carried on but I was now in even moer of a grump and could barely enjoy the sights before my eyes. Stupid stupid bike! when can I wake up and not have to get on it again? Please soon!

We stayed in a little summer house belonging to a lovely lady called Hildegrun, near the small town of Rimforsa. Hildegrun thought we were marvelous and her superb English meant we were able to chat to her for ages (she also let us use her internet for an hour or so so caught up a little on the blog - phew, it's a bit like homework this blog - if you get behind it's very hard to imagin how you will ever catch up!). She told us loads about Stockholm and the wonderful Swedish artist Karl Larsson. Nice talkin' to ya lady! http://www.granny.se/  !!!!!!!!

What with it being Friday we decided to have a night in by the telly and we watched Swedish 'Idol' aka XFactor! It was 90's night so we caught renditions of Bryan Adams, Haddaway and Britney Spears - excellent!

Mileage = 45

No comments:

Post a Comment