Tuesday 2 November 2010

Day 26 - The strongest girl in the world

Now I mentioned earlier in the blog that Sweden was a bit of a wonderland for me and today all my dreams came true.......................

Due to our inland detour today's destination was Vimmerby, the hometown of Astrid Lindgrens and now home to Astrid Lindgrens Värld, oh my goodnesss, I could barely contain my excitement. I was trying to persuede Sylvie to let us take a day off to hang out at this incredible sounding theme park but we settled on an early start and due to that lovely tail wind and a very quiet main road we reached Vimmerby by 12!!!!!



We loacted our hostel for the night then hotfooted it to Astrid Lindgrens Värld, I was going to be meeting Pippi and the gang before I knew it. Oh boy oh boy.

It was closed.

After cicrling the perimeter for 20 mins or so looking for a place to break in, I gave up and we decided to head for some lunch. Then we spotted a cafe right next to the park and decided to drown my sorrows over a hot chocolate. What luck, they were serving the most delicious buffet lunch for only 80k, we were sold. From the cafe we could see into the park and I saw a sign for Vilakulla Cottage, where Pippi lives with her monkey Mr Nelson and her horse on the porch. There was also a sign for Bullerby where Lars, Anna, Britta, Pip, Olaf and someone else who's name I can't remeber live. The stories about them make me feel so happy. In fact for christmas last year, age 30, my mum gave me a beautiful old Pippi Longstocking book and a book about the children of Bullerby, that's how much I love them!

                                                                More snow in Vimmerby
After our super lunch we headed back into town past the house where Astrid Lindgrens grew up, it is a museum now (closed) and looked just how I imagined the houses in her books to look like.

So there we are I was one happy lady.

We tootled off to the hostel via our favourite supermarket ( I have become addicted to going to the supermarket as it breaks up the day!) and settled in for the night.


                                                      Lovely view from hostel over the lake
Despite the excitement of the day (for me anyway) we were feeling slightly dejected, it was taking FOREVER to get anywhere in Sweden and we just didn't feel like we were making any headway. We spent the night poring over the maps and trying to work out if we could make our route any shorter, Stockholm seems so so far away....................

Miles today 45.

No comments:

Post a Comment