Sunday 10 October 2010

Day 6 - Hallo Holland! Knowing me Hana Leythjoe knowing you the Netherlands

As we rolled off the ferry into the morning sunshine I relaxed as I thought of the four days of flat bare land coming our way and as we finally manouvered out way out of the port and on to the LF1b Noordzeeroute I sat back and smiled, hoorah we're in Holland.
Ho ho, what's this? the pedalling got slightly harder and the day a little darker, I broke out of flat hazy dream to discover we were on another planet. Well that was the only explanation I could think of as I cycled up hill!!!!!! The Netherlands are not flat and covered in ditches and dykes, oh no they are covered as far as I could see in the most incredible huge sand dunes and forests. The Netherlands, I thought I knew you.



So, what a lovely day riding we had, up and down through the dunes and the little forests on our very own little roads. This place is like a playground, everywhere people are trundling around on their sit up and beg bikes or whizzing lycra clad out of the dunes on their mountain bikes. Old people pic nic in the middle of knowhere and small children get towed along in huge carts.

Then we got lost! In a town called Driehuis we lost our signs and lost our way, for about an hour! As we rode up and down the same road we saw a crocodile of school kids on an outing all on their bikes with the teacher at the front leading the way, so progressive these Dutch.

Back on track we road through some classic zeeside towns, that were just like being Blackpool or Torquay and finally ended up in Egmond aan Zee to pitch out tent. We dined on quinoa and a delicious greek salad then popped our weary selves into bed at about 8pm!

We cycled around 65 miles today, phew-eeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment